There’s nothing we love more than healthy, freshly made cocktails (the good instantly cancels the bad, right?!). As a nod to the ’70s, we channeled our inner Betty Draper while preparing this fruit-based twist on a classic martini.
Inspired by citrus season and spring weather, we used freshly squeezed grapefruit juice as the base of our mix. Its bright pink coloring automatically looks delish. For a ’70s flare, we endured very tough research, mixing and tasting cocktails from the era. No surprise that grenadine — our new go-to sweetener — appeared in many of them. Adding a splash with citrus cuts the bitterness in a drink and soothes a sweet tooth.
RIO RED GRAPEFRUIT MARTINIS
6 ounces grapefruit juice
1 ounce lime juice
8 ounces vodka
2 ounces sparkling water
3 dashes grenadine
1 handful mint
- Fill a 32-ounce pitcher with ice and place in freezer to stay chilled.
- Cut and squeeze grapefruits. No time for juicing? Head to your local grocery for freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
- Slice and juice limes. Put aside 4 wedges for garnish.
- Combine all liquids and add in mint.
- Stir ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Gather your besties, pour, garnish with lime wedges and get a little tipsy!