We’re obsessed with this modern twist on the classic pony — the bubble ponytail. We hit up Los Angeles-based celebrity stylist Chris Meche for the how to.
Ponytails and up-dos have been rocking the festival scene, but how do you land an updated look when you don’t pack a personal stylist? It’s easier than you think. Celebrity stylist Chris Meche tells us how to master one of our favorite twists — the sectioned or “bubble” ponytail. “It’s super fresh and easy to pull off,” he says. “For tools, all you need is a hair brush and some small hair elastics that match your hair color.”
Get the Look:
- Start with dry hair. If you need extra body, spray in some texture or hair spray for grit and manageability.
- Brush hair back and secure it all in a ponytail. You can start high or low, depending on where you want your pony tail to start.
- Measure about 2 inches down your ponytail and place another elastic. To create the bubble, use your fingers and fan out hair in the section between the elastics. Remember to pull from all sides of the 2-inch section to create a round bubble effect.
- Keep moving down the ponytail, adding an elastic every 2 inches and fanning out the locks to create your bubbles. Go back to previous sections and fan out more hair if necessary to make all of the sections the same size.
- Finish with shine spray for added gloss and strong hold hair spray if you need to tame fly aways. That’s it — you’re done!