Summer is coming which means our cash flow is diverting from our savings account straight to weekend getaways and beach wear. Instead, try these tips to skim cash from your everyday activities so you can play without dipping into your rainy day funds.
At Honest Beauty, we’re all about the life hacks especially when they save money. Here’s 18 ways our in-house beauties are saving cash this summer without sacrificing their fun.
- Set $$ goals. And stick to them. For example, commit to carrying cash instead of credit cards.
- Renegotiate bills. Call your utilities companies, cable and cell providers, and anyone else you pay monthly and talk to their customer service to find new ways to save.
- Sell your closet. You may be tired of your old clothes, but someone else won’t be. Consign or trade them at local resale shops or online sites like TheRealReal.com or Tradesy.com
- Brew at home. Nix the hefty coffee shop spend by making your morning cup at home or scoring it free at work.
- Crockpot your dinner. Large one-pot meals mean loads of leftovers that you can pack for weekday lunches.
- Rethink your Friday night. GNO doesn’t have to include a velvet rope and VIP list. Instead, make it besties night in with face masks and wine instead of blowing your budget on overpriced cocktails.
- Stay grounded. Instead of taking your weekend getaway by air, think about day trips or overnighters that closer to home and stash the airfare funds in the bank.
- Buddy up. Take Lyft Line vs Lyft or über Pool instead of über x and share fares. You can cut your cab allowance in half.
- Gas up on the cheap. We’re obsessed with GasBuddy, a gas-saving app that stalks the stations nearest you for the cheapest prices per gallon.
- Score cash back. If you’re loading up your credit cards at least get some rewards out of them. Our favorite “perk” is the cash back option that puts money back into your checking account the more you spend.
- Skim money from checking. Think of Digit like a roommate who takes a few dollars out of your account here and there without you noticing. Except Digit invests the money it skims into your savings, not a new pair of jeans. Withdraw the money at any point sans fees.
- Nix Netflix. Gasp! If you love a good story, go old school and read a book. Skipping a month of streaming services like Netflix feeds your mind and wallet.
- Hunt for freebies. From admission-free museums to movie nights at the park, look for low- to no-fee concerts, shows and events in your city and pocket the savings.
- Freeze your gym membership. At least three months a year, switch your workouts to the great outdoors. Instead of a taking a spinning class or running on a treadmill, hit the beach, boardwalks and hiking trails to burn calories.
- Lower your grocery bill. Roadside stands and farmer’s markets often offer lower prices on seasonal, local and organic produce than what you’ll find in store. Shop around for the best steals.
- Host a potluck. Opening night at hottest new restaurant in town can be a little spendy. Instead, invite friends over (with their side dishes) for a gourmet night in. Be sure to include at least a few foodies on the guest list.
- Shop flea markets. Upgrade your digs and spend time with friends by making a day of outdoor flea marketing.
- Get crafty. You don’t need to be master craftsman to create a work of art for your space. Paint over an old canvas, take your own photographs or find simple DIY projects you can do to makeover your home or office without flatlining your budget.