Spring is right around the corner, and we’re thrilled for longer days (and shorter hemlines). Here are some of things we’ll be checking out this month.
“The best thing about girl power is that over time it turns into woman power.” — Cleo Wade
Artist and poet Cleo Wade just released her debut book, Heart Talk, which offers creative inspiration and life lessons through poetry, mantras and affirmations. Cleo’s been called “the millennial Oprah” and it’s no wonder why — her work is relatable in a way that makes it feel like a pep talk from your best friend. For a sneak peek you can also follow along at @cleowade.
- While it won’t be out until November, Becoming by Michelle Obama is now available for preorder. As a powerful advocate for women and girls, we’re interested to hear her story.
- New release Doing Harm by Maya Dusenbery takes a look at sexism in medicine and the way gender bias and an overall lack of understanding often leaves women struggling for proper care (i.e. endometriosis symptoms dismissed as textbook cramps).
- This list of 31 of the best new books for spring has something for everyone.
Ava DuVernay’s adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time hits theaters today and the the cast is stacked with some of our favorite leading ladies, including Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon and Mindy Kaling. It’s also happens to be the film that made Ava the “first woman of color to make a $100 million movie”.
- Speaking of Mindy Kaling — her new show Champions, which she wrote and produced with Charlie Grandy (of The Daily Show, SNL, The Office), premiered last night on NBC and we’re looking forward to watching the first episode this weekend.
- Netflix just released a trailer for the final season of House of Cards and it looks like Robin Wright will to continue to kill it, sans former co-star Kevin Spacey.
- Black Panther is ruling the box office and the red carpet, as proven by Lupita Nyong’o’s stunning Versace Oscar gown that was inspired by the movie.
MyDomaine just launched a podcast called Second Life, a series that spotlights successful women who’ve made major career changes — and fearlessly mastered the pivot. Hosted by MyDomaine co-founder (and Honest Beauty friend) Hillary Kerr, each episode will give you a direct line to women who are game changers in their fields. You can listen to the first episode (featuring another long-time friend, Jen Atkin) here, and be sure to subscribe for a new episode every Monday.
- In honor of this week’s International Women’s Day, check out this “Womanhood” themed playlist.
- Dax Shepard’s new podcast Armchair Expert is actually everything.
- Here’s some of the best new music to kick off the month.