Our new Younger + Clearer™ skin care line features wintergreen-derived salicylic acid, that treats and helps prevent future acne breakouts. Get the scoop on this plant-derived acne treatment.
It’s calming, hydrating and eye-catching. What’s not to love?
What’s inside Honest Beauty? Lots of good stuff!
This is part of our ongoing series designed to help you better understand chemicals, chemistry and product formulations. We translate the science, bust the myths and give you an honest assessment,
so you can focus on all the ways you do beautiful.
Ingredient: Calendula Flower Extract
Botanical name: Calendula Officinalis
- Calendula. It’s a Latin word referring to the calendar (specifically, the first day of every month) because of this plant’s long flowering period.
- Officinalis. More Latin. This adjective means it was an official medicinal herb.
What it is: This extract of Calendula flowers (aka marigolds) are made like a giant cup of tea. Fresh petals are soaked in water, and then the herb extract concentrate is filtered out.
What it does: Calendula flowers have many uses, from making natural dyes to adding color to salads. They’ve also been used in traditional and folk medicines for many centuries. You’ll often find them used in teas and tinctures, but we’re more interested in the extract’s benefits for skin. Studies are still underway, but current research has found that calendula extract can help:
- Support skin (1,2,3,4,5,6)
- Calm and soothe (1,7)
- Nourish the skin (3,8)
Why we use it: With such a long and impressive history of use, choosing calendula extract for our makeup and skincare was almost a no-brainer. In addition to its supportive and nourishing qualities, it’s a naturally-derived, renewable resource. We love finding gifts from nature that are not only effective and safe (9), but also easy to source and take relatively little effort to process into a raw ingredient for commercial use. And, as far as plant based resources go, they’re a great choice because they’re so easy to grow. They tolerate most soils and many climates — and, once they get going, they offer bounteous blooms for months on end!
Why we’re featuring it: When choosing ingredients for our skincare and makeup we take everything into account to ensure they give high-impact, pro-level performance, but are also safe. You’ll find calendula in a ton of our products including Everything Tinted Moisturizer, Everything Cream Foundation, and Even Brighter Everyday Moisturizer.
- Preethi, K. C., & Kuttan, R. (2009). Wound healing activity of flower extract of Calendula offlcinalis. Journal of basic and clinical physiology and pharmacology, 20(1), 73-80.
- Calendula. Retrieved September 4, 2015, from http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/calendula
- Kemper K. Calendula (Calendula officinalis). The Longwood Herbal Task Force and The Center for Holistic Pediatric Education and Research. Retrieved September 4, 2015, from http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/calendula
- Klouchek-Popova E., et al. Influence of the physiological regeneration and epithelization using fractions isolated from Calendula officinalis. Acta Physiol Pharmacol Bulg. 1982; 8(4):63-7.
- Pazyar, N., Yaghoobi, R., Rafiee, E., Mehrabian, A., & Feily, A. (2014). Skin wound healing and phytomedicine: a review. Skin pharmacology and physiology, 27(6), 303-310.
- Nayeem, N. (2010). Wound healing: A review.
- Brown, D. J., & Dattner, A. M. (1998). Phytotherapeutic approaches to common dermatologic conditions. Archives of dermatology, 134(11), 1401-1404.
- Akhtar, N., Zaman, S. U., Khan, B. A., Haji, M., Khan, S., Ahmad, M., … & Rasul, A. (2011). Evaluation of various functional skin parameters using a topical cream of Calendula officinalis extract. Afr. J. Pharm. Pharmacol, 5(2), 199-206.
- Andersen, F. A., Bergfeld, W. F., Belsito, D. V., Hill, R. A., Klaassen, C. D., Liebler, D. C., … & Snyder, P. W. (2010). Final report of the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel amended safety assessment of Calendula officinalis–derived cosmetic ingredients. International journal of toxicology, 29(6 suppl), 221S-243S.