Remember making a color wheel back in the day and learning about complementary colors? Maybe not… but it’s actually one of the best beauty hacks in the books. Apply the same theories when picking your eye makeup to get your baby blues, browns or greens to pop!
Meet Lauren, who’s not only one of our models (that’s her under Meet Your Match), but also a talented singer, songwriter and performer. Make her look your own in a few simple steps.
Check out the video below to get her look:
Where are you from and what beauty is like there (beachy and easy, big curls and false eyelashes, etc.)?
I come from Kent, England and, as most people know, it be a little gloomy so I see a lot of women finding other ways to get tan. They love their bronzer and self tanner! I grew up in the countryside and in general it’s a little more casual, but on the weekend some girls like to go extra full-out with full-on glam!
Tell us about your #LetsBeHonest look and why you chose it:
I chose the Daring “Ready to Conquer” Look because as a performer it speaks to me. In order to be my best, I want to feel 100% confident in the way that I look especially on stage. It’s a few steps up from what I would wear during the day, but it’s a transition that gets me into character. It’s exciting and fun to dress up and do something different than your daily beauty routine.
Who or what is your beauty inspiration?
I follow a lot of different make up artists online and I also have worked with some of the best. I’ve picked my fave little tricks from each one and combined them with my own style and technique.
What’s the best and/or worst beauty advice you’ve gotten?
Best: Less is more! Worst: The more, the better!
Even if you’re going for a Daring look, I believe there is a way to apply your makeup so that it doesn’t look like it’s caked on.
What is inner beauty to you?
Inner beauty is an internal radiance that shines just as much as physical beauty. It’s what makes you unique and special. Women always want to be beautiful on the outside and sometimes they strive for perfection, but as we all know, time takes its toll on our bodies so perfection becomes a goal that we cannot maintain. With inner beauty, however, the possibilities are endless. There is no limit to how incredible you can be!
What product can’t you live without?
I love anything that makes my skin glow! I have a tendency to use my lip balm not just on my lips, but on my brows, cheekbones, nose and sometime even under my eyes on the go!
What’s your favorite Honest Beauty product?
I’m soooo happy that Honest Beauty made the multifunctional Magic Balm! It’s lighter than my greasy lip balm and gives that magical glow!
If you were an Honest Beauty Lip Gloss, what shade would you be? (Dreamy, Kind, Generous, Creative, Inspired, Playful)
I love the idea of putting a positive word on your beauty products so that when you apply you set your intuition… genius! I would choose to be Creative. Bring on the ideas!
How long do you take to get ready in the AM? To go out at night?
AM: I don’t like to do much in the morning — I’ll take about 30 minutes. I get cleaned up, put on a little moisturizer, balm and maybe a bit of mascara.
PM: If I’m going out, I give myself about an hour to go in on the glam! I enjoy putting on makeup more at this time. It’s kind of therapeutic, like painting.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve applied makeup?
Like I said, I like to apply lip balm all over my face, but sometimes I’ll take it to the next level. I apply it to my collarbone, shoulders, décolletage, and if I’m showing legs, a line on the top of the knees.
Be Honest: Do you wash your face before you go to bed?
Sometimes. Half the time I’m too tired and just use a makeup remover wipe.
Finish this sentence: #LetsBeHonest, I wear makeup because:
It makes me feel confident and feminine ;).
Show us your signature look and be a part of our Lookbook using #LetsBeHonest!
While we love Throwback Thursdays and blasts from the past, even the hottest classic looks can stand a little tweaking to give them a fresh spin. LA-based celebrity makeup artist Monika Blunder shares 4 quick tips that easily make your look more modern without the dreaded family intervention.
- Try “contouring lite.” While Monika still loves the contour trend, less is more when it comes to making it fresh. Instead of going full-on bronze, use a hint of strategically placed highlighter or luminizer in the hollow of the cheeks for sexy, subtle shading without that “hey, I’m contoured” look. Top with a cream blush and blend.
- Go easy on the lip liner. Trade heavily defined looks for crayons, glosses or lipsticks that can be swiped on or pressed on with your fingers or a brush. The exception? Using lighter shades in pinks or nudes to create subtle shape or to draw all over lips to create a base for making color last. The key? Less is more (modern).
- Play up one color at a time. It’s all about balancing boldness with simplicity. One of Monika’s signature looks is a vibrant smoky eye, but what makes the look even more spectacular is that she keeps the rest of the face neutral. Take Jessica Alba’s smoky blue shadow look for The Late, Late Show, Monika paired it with a glossy nude lip and softly flushed cheek to balance the color and make it stand out.
- Mind the crease. Bold shadows in metallic-, earthy- and jewel-toned shades are as a gorgeous as ever, applying them from your lash line to your brows looks a bit dated. Need a guideline? Don’t blend colors past the crease and you’ll modernize your gaze in seconds.
This beauty’s no One-Hit Wonder. We listed 19 (yeah, you read that right) of our fave ways to use this season’s miracle must-have. What’s yours?
1. Everything Primer swept along the collarbone.
2. Luminizing Powder in Dusk Reflection dusted along the neckline.
3. Magic Balm swiped on knees and along the shins.
Squeeze this baby in your evening bag for glam on the go.
There haven’t been too many new and exciting things to say about double-duty beauty. Who doesn’t crave products that multitask for miles? Especially when we’re toting them around town for 24-7 touch-ups. Enter Créme Blush, an addictively versatile, three-in-one buildable blush that works hard to maximize color and staying power. With six fab shades, it easily doubles as an eyeliner and creamy shadow without giving you that creepy monochromatic doll look. (You know the one.)
Our makeup gurus reco applying the color with a brush, but our beauty hackers say it’s just as fast as easy to apply with clean fingertips. Mix in a little Luminizing Powder to create a powdery effect on lids or a more matte look for lips.
And because the formula is made from botanical ingredients like apple, raspberry, grape, blackberry and vanilla extracts, it’s just as nourishing to lids as it is to cheeks. We love it both as pop of liquid-looking eyeshadow or a sleek eyeliner. Now all you need is a party invite, which let’s face it, won’t be a problem.