Get your green on with this easy-peasy recipe, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any time you feel the urge to raid the vending machine. It curbs cravings, satisfies hunger and takes minutes to make. Sign us up.
Don’t judge us, but we’re big popcorn people here at the Honest Beauty HQ, mostly because we’ve devised ways to spice it up. Not to mention, it’s a low-calorie, high-fiber snack that’s perfect for munching on between meals. With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, we’ve cooked up a special snack hack that’s naturally green — and good for you.
Turns out matcha powder is meant for more than just your morning latte. Made by grinding green tea leaves into a fine powder, this superfood can be mixed into anything from cookies to cocktails (you’re welcome) for an extra dose of antioxidants and a fabulous conversation starter. As a popcorn topping, it brings a punch of color and a subtly sweet taste that keeps you out of the candy jar.
MATCHA GREEN TEA POPCORN
1½ tablespoons coconut oil
½ cup organic popcorn kernels
1 to 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
Sea salt to taste
- Add coconut oil to large pot and heat over medium heat until coconut oil is completely melted. Add a few kernels to the pot — when they pop, your oil is hot and ready.
- Add remaining kernels to pot and cover. Gently shake the pot while the kernels pop.
- Once all the kernels have popped, remove from heat and pour into a large paper bag.
- Add matcha powder to bag and shake, shake, shake!
- Pour popcorn into bowl and season with salt to taste.
- Get your snack on.
*Feeling indulgent? Try drizzling with a little melted dark chocolate.