Sometimes all it takes to slim down are a few simple food swaps. Follow these tips from wellness guru, Kelly LeVeque, to curb cravings, without having to cut flavor.
- Think pink. Ditch your table salt and go with Himalayan pink salt, instead. The pink stuff is packed with more than 80 trace minerals and contains less sodium per serving than traditional table salt.
- Parsnips instead of potatoes. Roast parsnips for a better-for-you take on french fries. You can also try them mashed for a lightened-up version of the classic side.
- Zoodles are the new noodles. Zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash make excellent fill-ins for your favorite starchy pasta. Pair with your sauce of choice and enjoy.
- A cleaner crunch. Cucumber slices provide the same snack satisfaction as chips or crackers, but without the sodium, carbs and sugar. They also help you feel fuller, thanks to water content and fiber, so you end up eating less overall.
- Avo over everything. Hold the mayo and opt for a little ripe avocado. It makes a great spread for sandwiches or can be mixed into your chicken, salmon or tuna salad.
- Buffalo for beef. Buffalo, aka bison, can replace conventional beef when making a burger, tacos or chili. It’s lower in calories, fat and cholesterol than chicken and higher in protein than beef.