Denim might be a timeless staple in all of our wardrobes, but it can still use a little makeover each season. With trends constantly changing, we put together a list of denim-on-denim outfits hitting our wish lists right now.
We love everything denim at Honest Beauty. It’s literally our uniform [literally-literally, not figuratively literally]. But not all denim-on-denim is created equal. Create a chic pairing without falling too far off the fashion deep end with our favorite looks of the season:
1. Sophisticated Sweetheart. Update a classic statement with a fitted denim blazer. Button it over a lacey black bra and same shade boyfriend jeans. Not feeling so risqué? Pair it with a simple white tee. The key is making sure the blazer and jeans fit you properly — not too baggy, but not too tight — to sculpt your body. This modern take on the traditional Canadian tux will take you seamlessly from office to happy hour. Just add stilettos.
2. Monochromatic Model. Matchy matchy has its haters but we love the look because it’s effortlessly chic. Alice + Olivia’s Lea Fitted Cropped Blouse and Carsen Braided Shorts make a flawless combo thanks to their dainty, lightweight and versatile fabrics. Plus, by wearing them apart, you practically double the size of your wardrobe (justification for shopping splurge? Check!) Add a chunky necklace and layered bangles for a little flare. You’ll be ready for a boozy brunch with the girls in no time.
3. Blue Jean Baby. We’re crushing hard on M.i.h Jeans’ Angie Scallop-Trim Tunic dress. It’s girly, airy and looks amazing with a washed-out-denim long-sleeve tied around the waist. The trick? The shirt doubles as a belt, cinching at your waist to make it look smaller (bonus) and accentuate your curves (yes, please). Slip on some killer wedges, like these beauties, throw your hair in a messy bun and play it simple with stud earrings.
4. Indigo Queen. Unleash your preppy side by slipping on a denim mini skirt
5. American Idol. Overalls and denim jumpsuits went from basic to brilliant this season. Designers added chic embellishments, unique detailing and updated silhouettes (fitted, loose, belted, long-sleeved, short-sleeved, you name it) to make them accessible for all body types. We picked our fave three, the fashion equivalent of splitting an atom: 1) Citizens of Humanity’s Tallulah Denim Jumpsuit; 2) Free People’s Lou Denim Jumpsuit; and 3) Reformation’s Wakefield Jumpsuit. Finish the look with a rad denim purse before letting loose on a dance floor near you.
PRO TIP: Wanna hit #OOO status with your denim-on-denim? Hit up some denim shoes. Christian Louboutin’s wedges officially landed on our wish list. If you’re jonesing for something a little more practical, Michael Kors’ denim trainers will keep your feet and fashion sense feeling like a boss.