Each season we give our space some sprucing up and our closets a makeover. Now it’s time to show our makeup cases a little TLC.
Our spring cleaning spree continues at Honest Beauty HQ. The latest conquest? Beauty bags and makeup drawers that tend to be over stuffed, crammed with expired products and a not-so-hot mess.
We rounded up 10 beyond simple ways to tidy up and keep life looking glam.
- Clean when it’s not spring. That little take-everywhere case picks up dirt and grime from every space it touches (think locker rooms, offices, hotels). Naturally, how you wash it depends on the material. We suggest making a clean sweep with a damp cloth every two weeks (versus every season).
- Go minimalist. When to comes to makeup cases, switch to a style that’s small and cute so you fit you need and avoid what you don’t.
- Ditch old, unused products. Live by the rule: “If you haven’t touched it in months, it’s time to toss it.” You won’t miss what you’re not using. (Even if it was the must-have shade of the season!)
- Declutter and simplify. Think of your on-the-road makeup case like a survival kit. Practical. Tote-able. Able to get you through a zombie apocalypse. Limit it to 5 products. We love Magic Balm, mascara, Luminizing Powder, concealer and a lip crayon.
- Seek multitaskers. Find 2-in-1 products that give you more bang for the space. Bronzers and highlighters that shades your lids or balms that hydrate and highlight. (No, those fake lashes don’t do double duty.)
- Swap brushes with disposable applicators. Think cotton swabs or puffs. Store them in a case so they stay fresh then restock when running low.
- Burn your tweezers. Um, what? Seriously though, break out a match and run a flame over your tweezer tips for a quick and easy disinfectant. Wipe clean and let it cool before your next use.
- Replace your mascara. Whether the bottle is half full or nearly empty, trade it for a new one every two to three months to help keep bacteria away from your eyes.
- Sanitize your makeup drawer. Or organizer or medicinal cabinet, basically your makeup lives. At least once a month, give the space a deep cleanse.
- Wash your brushes. Beauty tools are constantly neglected. Using a mixture of baby soap and water, gently rinse them every week or two.